Monday, July 19, 2010

Life During Wartime

This blog is not a tribute to the Talking Heads. But I tend to contextualize my thoughts with the songs that I love. I have a hard time staying on a normal schedule. Its not so bad when I have a real job, and I have to wake up at a regular time, work all day, and generally act like a responsible human being. Unfettered by such constraints, I revert to my natural instincts, which brings me back to the title of this post... "sleep in the daytime, I work in the night time." My habits always remind me of this song. I don't want my family back in the States to worry, though. I am fine. Let me repeat... I am fine. I am relatively happy and healthy. I just happen to get up at 6:45am, do a few things, have some coffee, and usually sleep from 11am to 2 or 3pm, and then get back up for the second shift from 3ish to around 2am. A little odd, perhaps, but I get things done. Benson seems to enjoy this schedule. He is never more than a couple of hours from a walk. If and when I get a job, he will not be pleased.
Last night I went to sleep around 11pm, and then woke up at 2am, unable to get back to sleep for a couple of hours. I went to the kitchen, and on the way there, I found this scene in the living room:

Strange things happen at that hour of the night.

Today I decided I needed a haircut. I have had my hair cut once since arriving here, but that shop is in another part of town, and, to be honest, the neck and shoulder massage that accompanies the haircut just weirds me out a little (probably wouldn't weird me out AS much if the lady cutting my hair wasn't 55 years old, 5'1" and a solid 185 lbs). So I had passed a bunch of these $10 fast haircut places, all of them located in MRT stations. So I gave one a try, and I have to say, it didn't turn out too badly. I mean, I wasn't as lucky as Benson, who got his best haircut ever here in S'pore, but for $10, at a subway station, I'm not complaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment