Friday, July 2, 2010

Where is that large automobile?

The other day I woke up from a dream... I don't remember what about, but the first thought I had when I woke up was, "do I really live in Singapore, or was it a dream?" I really do live in Singapore. It is still hard to believe sometimes. I was interested in the land area and population size of Singapore, so I did a little research. Singapore is not a huge city, but big. About five million people. Thats a little bigger than San Francisco, Santiago, Chile, or Baghdad. No where near the size of New York, Tokyo, or Mexico City. I have to say I was a little disappointed. I was thinking that I had moved to a giant metropolis, and here I find out I am no where near the top ten.
On the the other hand, while it may not be the biggest of cities, its still pretty far from home, and its big enough, and there is a lot going on. I look around at the huge buildings, I realize its not Richmond Virginia. In the process of doing my informal research I also realized that Singapore is in the Indian Ocean. I never imagined that I would see the Indian Ocean... in my life. And now I live on a city state island IN the Indian Ocean. I don't know if I ever even imagined leaving Richmond, to live any way. I couldn't imagine moving to the Northeastern U.S. and now I live literally on the other side of the world, twelve (depending on the time of year) time zones from where I was born and raised.
I take public transportation. I don't own a car. I don't have a back yard, so I have to pick up my dog's poop in a plastic bag. I live in a high rise apartment building. I take my dog outside with the aid of an elevator. I have to buy groceries in small quantities because I can't put them in the trunk of the car, but instead have to carry them home by hand.
Not to mention the fact that I am not working. The thing that I have most feared for the last 7 years, since I started working after grad school: unemployment. And I chose this. I left my job with no job to go to, and move to the other side of the world.
None of this is bad, mind you. I have my Erin, my cats and dog. I have what I need, and I am making some new friends. I just find myself asking, "Well, how did I get here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment